Berry Topped Meringue
By Robert Campbell – Master Baker OX RABBIT
A fluffy light and festive take on the classic meringue. Perfect for adding to the seasonal pavlova, or to share as individual desserts with the family through the holidays.
- 8 egg whites, at room temperature
- 450g caster sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- freeze dried berries
- pistachios, crushed
- Mixing bowl
- Large lined baking tray
- Preheat oven to 140 degrees.
- Line one large baking tray with baking paper. In a clean mixing bowl, add your egg whites and mix on a high speed until stiff (they should hold their own weight).
- Add 150g caster sugar, whisking until the mix becomes glossy and begins to re-firm. Add remaining sugar and cornflour, continue whisking until the meringue mixture stiffens.
- Using two large spoons, scoop three large dollops onto the baking tray and make little mounds. Repeat until all the merengue mixture is gone. Place in the oven for 1 hour, avoid opening the oven door.
- Once done, the meringues should easily peel off the tray. Allow to cool on a wire rack before sprinkling freeze dried berries and crushed pistachios over the top.
- Store in the fridge, and share as is, or with fresh ice cream, of pavlova.